Capsule Wardrobe

Last May I went on a personal shopping day with a personal shopper, and she introduced me to the idea of a capsule wardrobe, where you have a few items, but they work really hard and make loads of outfits when mixed and matched differently.  I have been spending a lot of time on Pinterest looking at examples of this and how to make it work for me and my clothes.  Often I feel like I have nothing to wear! but actually, now someone has taught me how to dress, I think I have too many clothes and keep passing them on/trying to sell them.  I am learning what shapes work for me, as well as colours and I am having fun!  It also really helps that there are a lot of shops which now carry a tall range.

So I was on Pinterest the other day and came across Kendra at Closet Confessions.  She had a 30 day capsule wardrobe using only 10 items and none of the outfits were repeated.  So I decided to give it a go.  I started it on Wednesday, and it's now Saturday.  So far so good.

She advocates choosing 4 bottoms, a dress, four tops and two blazers/cardigans/jumpers. Ok, so that is 11 items. Pick a colour scheme and raid your wardrobe!  She adds belts and scarves and shoes,but doesn't count them in the clothes count.

I think that I will switch a bottom with adding another cardigan/jumper/ blazer as it is winter and I am  always in jumpers at this time of year and will get bored with the same two cardigans. Plus I have a band of snotty noses at the moment which means my clothes require more time in the wash!

So here is what I chose:
1 pair of dark skinny jeans
A grey maxi skirt
A knee length denim skirt
A pink and white striped 3/4 length sleeve shirt
Blue and white stripey long sleeved top
White long sleeved top
Geometric patterned sleeveless top
Purple knitted dress
Mid length grey cardigan
Pink cardigan

I made up outfits and photographed them so that I could choose the night before which I was going to wear the next day so that I didn't repeat any.  I also have to add at this point that I wear a cami underneath my tops each day to keep me warm.

So here is what I wore on Wednesday (excuse the poor photos, the iPad camera obviously needed a clean!)

Pink shirt, skinny jeans, white cami top for warmth.

Thursday:
Skinny jeans, white top, pink cardigan.

Friday:

Grey maxi skirt, geometric top, white cami for warmth, pink cardigan.  Also added skinny black belt and navy and grey print scarf.

Today:


Skinny jeans, blue and white striped top with red and blue scarf. 

So there we go, the first four days.  I look forward to adding more over the coming days.

Comments