Baby Preparation

Its 15 weeks, give or take, until our new baby arrives :)  Suddenly it all seems a bit close.  I mean, I have had my head around being pregnant again, the fact that I get to give birth again (so excited about that bit!) but as to actually having another little person around, it all still seems a bit far off and not really real.

So I have decided to start preparations and to try and keep myself motivated and up to date, I thought I would keep myself accountable here.  So, in the next 15 weeks I want to:

  • Sort out one box/bag/drawer/shelf of current children's clothes per week to see what I need to keep and what I can get rid of.  I can't quite bring myself to get rid of Benjamin's tiny clothes, but we need the space!  And what am I keeping it for?!  The clothes to go will  be sorted into ragbag, pass on and ebay.  Although ebay might end up being pass on.


  • Make 2 extra meals per week for the freezer for when the baby gets here.  I have just bought some foil trays from Tesco, but I think the next batch will come from the £ shop as they will be cheaper in there.  And I will need a lot!  I will need to add this into the weekly shopping budget as well as meal plan so that there is time to cook.  Here is the list of what I have so far:
  • Shepherds Pie
  • Bolognaise
  • Chilli
  • Moussaka
  • Chicken curry - korma
  • Chicken curry - tikka masala
  • Lasagne
  • Quiche
  • Fish Pie
  • Sausage and Bean casserole
  • Meatballs and tomato sauce
  • Soups
      I already have 2 packs of chicken breasts in the freezer, so that will do for one of the curries, and I    have just over 2kg of mince coming next week which will do nicely for bolognaise and chilli. Obviously there will be more than one meal made out of the above quantities, but at the moment I am restricted by the number of storage devices I have!
I also want to make up some puddings, even though we are not big pudding eaters.  I have so much fruit in the freezer, it will be eaten far more quickly if I actually make it into something edible!  
I also plan to go to Morrisons mid-evening for a couple of trips to stock up on ready made freezer meals which they sell off for 9p, but I won't plan for exactitudes as you never know what you are going to get.

  • Plan summer holiday activities for us to do, places to go, people to see etc.  I think that we will have 4 and a half weeks over the summer with no routine and Hubby being at work, so I will need to think about how to keep Ruth and Benjamin occupied and entertained.  Obviously I'm not thinking of huge trips out or anything, but just to have some things up my sleeve for when I am exhausted and have a non-functioning brain I can bring something out to keep everyone happy.
  • Make a batch of dribble bibs.  I'm thinking I'll start with 8 and see where we go.  If I don't use all of them, the others could make nice gifts (if they are any good!).
  • Embroider or sew a motif to new muslins so we all know which ones belong to the new baby.  Ruth and Benjamin both sleep with muslins, which are looking really rather grotty now however many times I wash them.  I think I might do a boil bleachy wash and see what that does.  Ooops, thinking out loud there.
  • Put together a baby purchase list.  Things like nappies, breast pads, infacol, blanket, nursing bras, feeding clothes etc.  I want to be ready miles in advance this time, since when Benjamin was born I had only literally packed the hospital bag and the cradle wasn't even up yet.
  • Wash carseat and pushchair covers.
Nothing else has been lurking in my brain, so I will leave it at that for now.  More than enough to be going on with.  I would like to try and check in each Friday to see how I am doing.  Going to be very satisfying to tick everything off!

Comments