New Year Sermon

We have 864000 seconds gifted to us, each day, from our Creator. How do we spend that time?

Today's sermon was from Ecclesiastes 3 v11-13 (I think), the main thrust being that God makes all things beautiful in his time. But I was reading around the page, and had lots of thoughts that while aren't exactly coherant written down, lead me to really re-think how I spend my time.

I had already decided this year that I am going to stop being lazy. I am going to stop watching TV just for the sake of it, and if I am tired, to go to bed! I have almost decided to give up facebook, but can't quite shake that one yet. I have decided to be more productive at home during the day.

So this morning's read-around of Ecclesiastes 3 and 4 triggered the following thoughts:

Chapter 3 v 22: So I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work because that is his lot.

We have one life, Hubbby and I have chosen to live the way we do and are incrediably blessed to have been able to make that decision. Thus I will make an even bigger conscious effort to enjoy the work that I do at home, within my various roles of wife, mummy, homemaker because otherwise it will be a waste of a life. And I will be a happier, more joyful person for it.

Chapter 5 v 12: The sleep of a labourer is sweet, whether he eats little or much, but the abundance of a rich man permits him no sleep.

Sleep and rest are so much sweeter after having been busy, productive and useful. There is a sense of achievement, and also real enjoyment at the rest. As Winny the Pooh says, it is far better doing nothing after you have been doing something!

Chapter 3 v 12: I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.

That promotes the doing idea again. We are happy when we are doing, not idling about. I find that a lot of time on this computer is just that, idling about. I need to stop doing that this year, to break the habit that I have formed. To come on the computer for a specific task and that alone. Doing good for my family and friends and those around me must come first.

Chapter 3 v 13: That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in his toil - this is a gift of God.

The idea being that the satisfaction in toil is a gift from God is a lovely one. The word 'toil' to me conjures up images of tasks that are hard, thankless, sometimes grotty, things that we do that we do not enjoy or find particularly pleasant. But God provides a gift, even in those circumstances, the gift of satisfaction. So while we may not relish the tast, the feeling we get afterwards is sweet.

All of these thoughts have just confirmed to me that what I am thinking is along the right lines. I am going to go to bed earlier, aim to rise earlier, and keep off this computer during the day. That is the aim!

Comments