Doing good is good, but best is better

I am on my second time to myself today, so I thought I'd drop in before I had 40 winks. This morning I had about 20 mins to myself so I grabbed my bible and sat on the sofa, the way I used to before Ben was born and Ruth dropped her morning nap.

And I turned to Philippians 1 and two things really stood out at me:

'In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. '

Firstly, wouldn't it be wonderful to have someone pray that for you? Someone who prays with joy for you and your relationship with God? I don't know if anyone does that for me, I guess I might find out in Heaven one day, but perhaps if I don't have anyone doing that for me, maybe Jesus does it on my behalf? I don't know how doctrinally sound that idea is, but it sure helps me. And if it would be fab to have someone praying that for you, would it not be great to pray that for someone else? Your husband, your kids, your parents, your grandparents, your friends? To pray with joy for them and their partnership with the gospel.

And 'he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus'. God has started a work in my life, in your life, and he will carry it on! He won't forget us, or leave us in the state we are now! Hallelujah for that as I need so much refinement as a mother, a wife, a woman. That gives me confidence that I will become more Christlike as I let God work in my life, that, if you like, I will be a better person and will keep getting better and better. And I don't have to do it by myself. Thank you Jesus!

9And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, 11filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

And this is what appealed to me in the second instance as I read further on through the chapter. That my love may about more in knowledge and depth of insight so you may be able to discern what is best. This is something that has been on my mind for a few days now as I struggle with wanting to get things done when children are needing me to hug and to play. Or when I have some time to myself, sitting on the internet or getting a job done instead of sitting at the feet of Jesus being replenished, or having a sleep (where I hope he also replenishes me!). Doing the former things are all good things (except perhaps the internet thing), it is good to have a tidy house, ironed clothes, a meal cooked. But surely it is better to be there for my children, to play when they ask, to cuddle when it is both needed and wanted. It is good to read encouraging things on the web, but surely it is better to go straight to the author of life and see what he has to say?

I don't by any means get this right all of the time, or even the majority of the time. I was just once again struck by how thoughts going through my brain are then brought even more to the fore with a word from God's holy book. He knows all my thoughts!

And so, if you are that way inclined, please do offer up a prayer for me, that my love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10so that I may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ.

And I will do the same for you.

Many blessings xxx

Comments