Its hard work!

Mothering two children under the age of 18 months is hard hard work, especially when you are on your own for the majority of the day. And a friend told me that now is when the hard stuff really kicks in, but she didn't say for how long...

We've all had a horrible cold over the last 10 days, Ruth had it the worst and was up at night when Ben was sleeping and then when she went back to bed Ben woke for a feed. I have spent a few nights sleeping upright with Ben on my chest so that he can breathe more easily. Needless to say, I am exhausted. And full of cold.

The mornings are the worst. Usually around about 9.30am I lose the plot. Both children crying and needing attention, the house a state already. I feel lucky if I can get showered and breakfasted by 8am. So far this week, that hasn't happened. But there are times such as this where both of my lovelies are sleeping and all is quiet, tidy and orderly. And I take the time to rest. Even though the ironing needs doing and I have no idea what Ruth is going to have for lunch.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is just for a season. I can get back to my routines soon enough. These fleeting days are about survival on the one hand and pouring myself into my children as much as I can on the other. I'd rather push swings and play in ball pools than iron :) Of course, there are things that must be done, food, laundry and general tidying. But other than that, I can give myself a break. And try somehow to add beauty where I can because this life is to be enjoyed, however tired and frazzled I am!

Comments

It may be true that the hard stuff does kick in now and onwards...BUT the blessing of having these children will be following right along too! Rest up and be encouraged that the work you are doing is precious in the sight of the Lord. Blessings to you, Beth

"My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil 4:19

"Let us not be weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not." Gal 6:9
Di said…
Thanks Beth - just what I needed to hear and be encouraged by this morning. God has used you in a very timely way!

Congratulations on the impending arrival of No2 and I hope that you have a joyous and comfortable rest of the pregnancy.

Love Di x