Life with one hand

Ruth is now just over 8 weeks old, and is above average in both height and weight for her age :D!

Her favourite place to sleep is upright on either Hubby or myself, although I am trying to train her that her cot is a good place to sleep too! When she is awake, she loves to be held, but will settle for the swing seat sometimes. Those blocks of 15 minutes are brilliant, its amazing just how much you can get done in those minutes to make the house look presentable.

Ruth is now smiling properly, which is amazing and totally melts you. And the best thing is that she knows who I am, and I feel that I have a purpose for the first time in my life. I am loving (probably a little egotisically!) being No1 in her life, even though it can get tiring. I cannot wait for Ruth to start laughing, as one of her smiles is a real nose-crinkler and her eyes look so cheeky, so the laugh is bound to be a cracker!

Feeding is going much better now I use nipple sheilds. Not usually recommended, but the health visitors and the docs round here say that you can do whatever it takes to keep you breastfeeding for as long as possible. I am the only one in my post-natal group still breastfeeding, although I have some very good friends who breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months and they are a great support. I still manage to collect around 4-5oz of milk in drips per day (breast shells are excellent for collecting the drips) which I am now freezing to either use in the weaning food in a few months time or to donate if anyone wants it.

Personally, I am much better, not as tired as I was for the first 6 weeks or so. I had just recovered from the whole pregnancy and birth thing, then spent the last week on antibiotics for sinusitis. So finally, I am starting to feel like my old self again, which is really really really nice. It also helps that Ruth has started to sleep longer at night, so we can put her down and get between 4 and 5 hours sleep in one stretch. Not quite the 7-8 hours I am used to, but so much better than the 90 mins-2hours we were getting!

I will upload some more photos, when I can get them off the camera!

Comments

Renee said…
I'm glad to hear that you're both doing so well!
Anonymous said…
I'm so glad to hear an update, and glad to hear you're feeling more recovered. And it's so great that you're still breastfeeding!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your little one!