Loveliness at Home

I have been challenged time and again to make my home beautiful. And to a certain extent, I think that it is, but there is always room for improvement. For example, there is always far too much clutter, however much we seem to get rid of. And while I would like fresh flowers every week, its not always possible. But then, I reason, a bunch of flowers can cost the same as a trip to the cinema, a coffee in Starbucks, a pint in the pub which you don't tend to think twice about, yet they last far longer!

The biggest aspect of loveliness that I want to work on is the sense of smell. I want my home to smell fragrant all the time, not just when I am baking bread! However, I don't want to go down the route of pot pourri or incence sticks, or the plug-in airfreshers route (think of the chemicals!). Open windows are all very well, but it can get very cold when I am at home all day 'working' with the windows open. I am still thinking about this one.

One scenty idea I have come up with is to spray my bed linen with scented water when I iron. I'll make my own scented water from essential oil and water, and put in a spray bottle. OK, so it won't make the whole house smell lovely, but it is a start.

Another idea for general loveliness is to purchase some small vases that hold perhaps a stem or two, and then distribute a bunch of flowers throughout the house rather than just in the lounge. I'll see how far I can get with these.

If you have any ideas, I would be glad to hear them!

Comments